- Venue in Peckham se15
- One birth partner included
KG Hypnobirthing classes
Hypnobirthing is logical, simple, practical and very effective! It’s a complete antenatal education which prepares you to achieve a calm and confident birth. It makes a positive difference to your experience of giving birth and gives you the tools to give your baby the best possible start in life. The most important thing you will gain is knowledge. With this you can make informed choices about your care and understand the implications of the choices you may be required to make.
HAVE THE BEST CHANCE AT A NORMAL BIRTH WITH KG HYPNOBIRTHING
When we hear of a woman who has had a quick and comfortable birth we think ‘wow’. But if that woman can have a positive birth why can’t every woman? I believe that under normal circumstances and assuming nothing is wrong every woman can! What has happened in our society that birth is so often a medical event instead of a natural one. Let's change that!
Group/Host Course £350
Private Course £450
- Choice of Venue
- Choice of time and date
- When booked with the birth doula package
- Before 35 weeks
HOW DO I GET TO THE GROUP VENUE?
Nearest station: Peckham Rye, Queens Road Peckham (overground)
Bus: 12, 36, 436, 37, 63, 363, 78, 136, 171, 177, 197, 343, 345, 381, p12, p13
Free parking available 10-15 min walk
No parking available on site
WHAT WILL I LEARN?
- Breathing exercises
- Deep relaxations
- Very effective work to release fear and build confidence
- Comforting massage
- How the father can be your powerful protector and support
- How your body is designed to give birth with efficiency and comfort
- Knowledge and information about the whole process
- How ‘the system’ that you find yourself in works, and how to work with it to achieve the best result for you
- A simple practice regime to support you at home
- Understanding how the mind and body work together
- Learn about the five Cs of hypnobirthing: Confidence, Control, Choice, Calm & Comfort
WHEN SHOULD I BOOK?
It is recommended that you book onto a course that starts when your 20-34 weeks pregnant. But you can join whenever you want ?
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- You are likely to experience a more comfortable and sometimes pain free birth.
- Your baby will arrive to a serene and relaxed environment, alert and ready to bond with you as nature intended.
- Length of labour is often much shorter with Hypnobirthing births.
- Less drugs and medical intervention are used in Hypnobirthing births allowing your baby to develop naturally and easily after they arrive.
- Mums often bounce back quicker after a Hypnobirthing birth as the physical impact of giving birth is reduced.
- Your birth partner will learn how to support you and have a central and active role in the birth. A truly shared and loving experience.
The benefits to you are obvious, but the long-term benefits to your baby cannot be over-estimated.
WHAT COURSE MATERIALS AM I GIVEN?
- The Hypnobirthing Book by Katharine Graves, with introduction by Michel Odent
- The KG Hypnobirthing course relaxation CD, Colour & Calmness.
- A folder of handouts to guide your practice at home
- A postnatal debrief session
DOES THE FATHER/PARTNER NEED TO COME TO HYPNOBIRTHING TOO?
He doesn’t, but he will be very glad if he did. Most fathers arrive at the course utterly sceptical and leave extremely enthusiastic. We don’t expect you to believe in it. Why should you? We do ask you to listen to the facts and the logic so you understand how important it is and the difference you as a father or birth companion can make. Have a look at the birth reports from fathers, and you can benefit from their experience.
The caricature of a father at a birth is someone who is nervous, feeling responsible for the situation she is in, holding her hand and wishing he could help, but not knowing what to do.
A hypnobirthing father is knowledgeable and able to support her as she gives birth. He is a huge asset in the birthing room, and many mothers say, ‘I couldn’t have done it without him.’ They have practised before the birth which brings them closer together, and he knows he has played an important part in how his baby enters the world. This deepens their relationship as a couple, and his relationship with his child.
WILL HYPNOBIRTHING WORK FOR ME IF I COME ON MY OWN?
Yes, definitely. Many women have come to the course on their own if they have a husband who is away on business, as a single mum, if it’s a second baby and they can’t find a babysitter for their elder child, or any other reason. Just remember that KG Hypnobirthing works, and you are very welcome.
HISTORY OF HYPNOBIRTHING?
The seeds were first sown with the work of eminent obstetrician Dr.Grantly Dick-Read. After witnessing a homebirth in the slums of the London Docks in 1913, the mother refused any pain relief and then proceeded to give birth quickly and with no pain. Grantly Dick-Read was truly amazed.
The Mothers comment after giving birth when he asked why she refused the pain relief was “It didn’t hurt. It wasn’t meant to, was it, Doctor?” This experience was defining, and after a career of working on the battle field and in hospitals he theorized that fear was the overriding cause that led to the pain in childbirth. At the end of his career he wrote the book “Childbirth Without Fear”. He hypothesized that when you are fearful, you tense up and the natural birth process is inhibited and becomes longer and consequently more painful.